Craps as you all know is a game of dice. When you wager for the game play it all depends upon the roll of the dice and its outcome. That means it is all how you handle the dice and its throw to which your game depends. As how to you set your dice, grip it and throw. Let us know here the best ways to hold, control or grip the dice in Craps.
When the stickman pushes the dice towards you it is the time that you start the control of dice, hold and throw by your hand in a proper way.
Things to Note in Dice
- Look at the dice and notice which numbers are facing up. Then visualize in your mind, exactly what to do to the dice to turn them into the position you want them to be.
- If you are tipping the dealers, you can ask if they will return them to you “all sixes,” or some other easy to manipulate position.
- “All Sixes” means that the dice will be returned to you with the two sixes facing upwards. The ones will be on the bottoms, and the 4/3 and 5/2 combinations will be on the sides.
- It is better to practice first before play. Buy a pair of dice the size used in casinos and practice with them at home, so you can set them as they come from stickman towards you in seconds of time, so you don’t hold up the game.
- Most boxmen will complain if your set takes longer and you really want to have the dealers on your side and not fighting you every inch of the way.
- When the current shooter sevens out you should start watching what the stickman does. He will return the used dice to the bowl and choose 5 dice and push all of them toward you. If, for example, you are looking for a hard way set, you should look for two dice with 2, 4 or 6 facing up so you can set them easier.
- After you establish a point you will have only one pair returned each time so you need to set them even quicker.
Setting the Dice
One easy method to set the dice quickly is to remember that opposite sides add up to seven. So if they are returned to you with 1’s and 2’s showing, you know that 6’s and 5’s are on their opposite sides.
You also need to remember to use one hand only, and if your other hand even remotely hovers near the the boxman might take the dice away if he thinks you’ve touched them with both hands.
Once you can flip the dice quickly, you are ready to grip the dice properly in a firm manner to insure that they travel together in parallel paths, at the same time.
In order for this to occur, your finger pressure must be equalized all over so the force is symmetrical. Depending on the size of your fingers and whether you are male or female, your grip might be different from another shooter’s.
There are several dice grips and each has a name, like “3 finger top,” “4 finger diagonal,” “5 finger top” and others.
After the dice are set, you place your 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers along the upper ridge of the front dice, and your thumb on the upper ridge in between the two back sides. Your pinky finger is tucked away and not used.
You would make sure the dice are perfectly symmetrical and then toss them with a slight back spin, so they land and bounce once around the pass line and, still spinning, just glance off the rubber backboard and come to rest the way you want them to.
It is all in your hand movements to grip, set and throw the dice. What is needed is some practice before you start real play at the Craps table. When you will have the control and grip of craps dice like an expert it will become easier for you to use and this skill and win the game.