Playing Craps is more of a fun if the betting strategy is clearly understood in the game. As you learn about the ‘Come Bet’ and the ‘Lay Bet’ similarly you will come across a bet called the ‘Hop bet’. Though in the casinos table layout this bet is seldom to be seen but most of the casinos offer this bet to the players.
What is Hopping Bet?
A “Hop” or “Hopping” bet is a proposition bet based on a single roll and is made on a certain combination of the dice. To express in writing a two-dice combination, we use the convention “X-Y,” where “X” is the value shown by die number 1 and “Y” is the value shown by die number 2 Like as an example the two-dice combination for a 10 with 6 on die 1 and 4 on die 2 is “6-4.” Note that “4-6” is different than “6-4” because the values shown on die 1 and die 2 are reversed.
Two or One Way to Win
When making a Hop bet, you specify the combination you think will appear. A Hop bet can either have two ways to win or only one way, depending on which combination you choose. The combinations with two ways to win always have different values for each die. Like if you bet the combination “6-4,” then you win if the next roll is either 6-4 or 4-6. The combinations with only one way to win are those that are commonly known as the Hardways (i.e., 2-2, 3-3, 4-4, 5-5).
Hopping Bet Pay Off
Hopping bets with two ways to win pay off at 15:1, and those with one way to win pay off at 30:1. The Hop 5-5, 4-4, 3-3, and 2-2 are called “Hopping (or Hop) Hardways. The Hardways are standing bets that stand until a specific outcome occurs. On the contrary, the Hop Hardways are one-roll bets that lose or win based on a single roll. Also youw ill find that their payoffs are different. The Hard 4 and Hard 10 payoff is 7:1, and the Hard 6 and Hard 8 payoff is 9:1. The payoff for all four of the Hop Hardways is 30:1, their payoff is much higher than the regular Hardways because, unlike the regular Hardways, the Hop loses or wins on only one roll.
Hopping 12 and Hopping 2, and the 3 and 11, you don’t Hop these. Remember, they’re one-roll bets and the payoffs are 15:1 or 30:1. Those bets are based on one roll (just like Hop bets), and the payoffs are the same as the Hop bets.
3 Ways to Make Hop Bets In Casino Craps
The following are the three ways to make Hop Bets in Craps
- Understand what Hop bets are
After a craps number or the point has been established by the shooter, you can bet on the numbers that will appear on the very next roll of the dice. Like suppose if you have an intuition that two and a three will be the next roll, and, if you call a Hop bet on that combination, you could win 15:1 on your money played.
- Know how to call Hop bets
A craps Hop bet is placed when you throw a chip to craps casino dealer and says your bet, such as “Two and Three Hopping” or “Four and Five Hopping.”
- Understand the odds for Hop bets.
Most Hop bets pay 15:1 so, if you play five dollars on “Two and Three Hopping” and those numbers come in on the very next roll, you will be paid $75. But if you miss it, the casino will take your five dollars. You can make the most money by betting on hardways hopping. AS explained above hardways means that matching numbers come up, such as two and two on the next roll of the dice. If you play “Two and Two Hopping” and a hard four comes in, you’ll be paid 30:1 (or $150 on that five dollar bet).
Why professional Craps player play Hop Bet
- They do so to get a higher payoff
- They use hop bets when someone is setting the dice and has developed his own signature roll. This is usually evident when the shooter bets big on a certain number. Like point is six and he buys the 4 or 10 for $50. Instead of buying the same number, he can “hop” it and win lots more money!
- They can also hop the seven on the comeout. This is rarely done, but it can be very profitable. The seven can be made three ways – 3 and;4, 2 and 5, and 1 and6, so your bets must be in multiples of $3. They use a simple $3 progression ($3, $6, $9, etc.), especially if the shooter sets the dice and bets big on the passline.
- They think of hedging their lay bets (4, 6, 8 or 10) with a hardway wager. If the hard ten rolls, they lose their$80 lay bet but win $84 (at 7:1) from the hard way. Now, instead of betting $12 hard ten, they can bet $3 hard ten hopping, which can pay 30:1 instead of 7:1. But if they lose the $80 when the hard way rolls, they can win $90 ($3 at 30:1) on the hard ten. If they win their lay bet they will only lose $3 instead of $12.
So this shows that to know how to make hop bets in casino craps seems to be an expert choice. Craps is considered the game of skill mixed with luck, is easier to win if you know how to make side bets or how to make hop bets when playing the game.
Hop bets are not the smartest bets in casino craps but are fo the most fun. Also not to have this bet option as an advice as this may affect your bank roll.